VYI Scholarship and MVP Awards
To receive a scholarship of the largest amount available for this year, the following criteria are considered:
* participation within VYI sports,
* successful and timely completion of the online application,
* upload of pictures to VYI in jpg format,
* submission of current transcript (unofficial is acceptable) with current GPA,
* overall character and community service,
* brief essay regarding VYI ,
* letter of recommendation from a non-family member, and if applicable,
* confirmation of volunteering for VYI, 9th grade and above
Initial selections for VYI awards are made annually after review of all required online applications, which must be submitted prior to 8AM April 30 at www.vyi.org , and accompanying materials, which must be submitted prior to 12:01 AM May 1 at the VYI administrative WEB site at admin.vyi.org. Those preliminarily selected are notified normally in the first week of May.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must carefully read and comply with the six requirements below. Any variation will lead to rejection of the application.
1. Applicants must have played for VYI (2 years minimum paid participation), or coached, or volunteered in some active capacity at least TWO of the six years encompassing middle and high school years, AND a minimum of THREE years out of the past twelve either playing, coaching or otherwise volunteering for VYI activities. Any volunteer activity must be accompanied by an email for letter from your commissioner or "coach of record", or team parent (not a family member) for the specific sport you volunteered for listing the specific nature of your volunteer position. Without this email or letter your volunteer activity cannot be considered.
2. Scholarship applicants must submit the application on-line (see the left hand menu item entitled "Register Online", available April 1 prior to 8AM April 30 .
3. Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.95 out of 4.0 and are expected to attend a post high school educational program beginning in the Fall following the graduation year, preferably, but not exclusively, a four year college or university. If you plan to enroll in other than a four year program, please be prepared to describe your planned course of study.
4. A current FORMAL head and shoulders picture (graduation, or senior year, and MUST NOT have "Copyright" or any other words written on the photo in JPG format must be uploaded to VYI at our administrative WEB site at "admin.vyi.org" . Access is granted with a USERID equal to your email address on your VYI registration record plus a PASSWORD of any phone number listed on your registration record. This must be completed before 12:01 AM May 1 .
5. Applicants must submit the following specific items via upload to the VYI administrative WEB site at "admin.vyi.org" before 12:01 AM May 1 .
a) a scanned copy of a current recent transcript provided to you from the high school , including grades for the first semester/third quarter of the senior year, whichever is more recent.
b) a scanned recommendation letter from a school teacher, coach, or other non-family adult person who has supervised the applicant in a leadership or community service role and,
c) an essay in WORD or PDF format of at least 250 words on how VYI has affected your life (other essays you sent with college applications are NOT acceptable).
d) if you have been a volunteer for VYI as a coach or in some other leadership role during the past few years, we require you to submit a letter or email from your immediate supervisor (commissioner or head coach) verifying your volunteer status. This is very important as volunteering is a primary determinant for this award.
All extra information must be submitted exactly as stated above by no later than 12:01 AM May 1 (ANY variance from above will lead to rejection of the application).
The total seasons played or volunteered for VYI is a primary consideration for the award. Recipients must know what sports VYI supports. References to baseball, softball or soccer do not comply with our requirements. Personal administration is a criteria for receipt of the award so all information is expected to be spelled correctly, capitalized properly, neatly presented in a timely manner, complete and correct.
REQUIRED BANQUET ATTENDANCE
Only those persons notified they have been awarded a scholarship (selectees) are required to complete one additional task before they become recipients of the full scholarship amount. The form below will not be made viewable until after scholarships are awarded in early May.
To receive a full award for that year the selectee, or parents, must attend the mandatory ceremony at the banquet. Attendance of the selectee is anticipated by each student/parent filling out a registration form at the VYI WEB site entitled "Banquet Attendance" (Click on menu item "Register Online" at www.vyi.org home page), which indicates their plans to attend the banquet and the number of guests they will bring to the ceremony (The selectee and two others (normally parents) are the guests of VYI, while any additional guests are $40 each, payable at the registration form by credit card. Additional registrations after June 1 carry a $10 late fee.) Failure to provide this information before May 25 may result in the selectee not being seated at the event.
NOTE: To receive a full award, all selectees are required to attend the formal presentation banquet at Westwood Country Club scheduled not to conflict with formal high school graduation events. If any selectee fails to attend the banquet without advance notice via the online form, the scholarship award will be rescinded by the committee. Anyone indicating they will not attend the banquet for any reason, unless they have one or both parents attend as their representative, is not eligible to receive the full scholarship award for the year, and instead will receive a lesser monetary scholarship award equivalent to the amount provided to an MVP, while still being recognized in the program (provided all online forms and pictures are submitted), on the VYI WEB site and at the banquet as a scholarship winner.
Scholarship checks will be mailed by VYI before August 1 to the school's address provided by the recipient in the online application mentioned above.
Selectees must carefully read and comply with the six requirements below. Any variation will lead to the award not being made.
MVP award recipients are chosen by the current VYI commissioner of the various sports, and confirmed by the VYI Scholarship Committee through verification of qualifications, from those past VYI seniors who have lettered in varsity athletics during their senior year. If you are interested in receiving the MVP award, but are not certain the commissioner is familiar with you or your experience with VYI and in high school sports, you should contact the commissioner directly, provide a copy of your sports resume and why you want to be the MVP, and ask to be named the MVP for that sport by no later than May 10. Only the MVP award recipient will be notified by VYI.
MVP APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS
MVP selectees need not submit an application, a letter of recommendation, or an essay.
1111. Selectees are expected to have high character, a GPA of 2.5 . Those recommended must submit a scanned copy of a current OFFICIAL transcript provided directly from the high school, including grades for the first semester/third quarter of their senior year, whichever is more recent (must be uploaded to the VYI administrative WEB site at "admin.vyi.org" using an email address from the selectees registration record as USERID and a phone number as the PASSWORD) , and be an active supporter of VYI and their community, including involvement in extracurricular activities.
2. Selectees must, at a minimum, receive a letter in the varsity sport for which they are named MVP in their senior year, have a verifiable history of participating in that sport for VYI, and plan to attend a post high school educational program in the Fall following graduation, preferably, but not exclusively, a four year college or university.
3. Selectees must have played, coached, or volunteered with VYI in some capacity at least two of the six years preceding their graduation from high school.
4. After notification of selection for the award is made, usually via an email from the VYI President, a current FORMAL head and shoulders picture (graduation preferred - no copies, no writing on picture, not smaller than wallet size, JPG format) must be uploaded to the VYI administrative WEB site at "admin.vyi.org":
5. Selectee must complete an online form submission (click on "MVP Information" in the left hand menu at www.vyi.org ) related to their educational and sports highlights. This information must be received by NLT May 25 of the award year via submission through the VYI WEB site (click on "Online Forms" and then click on "MVP Information"), or the selectee will not be represented in our program.
6. Selectees must attend the mandatory awards banquet to be held in mid-June at the Westwood Country Club (official date and time will be listed on VYI's home page under "News"). Attendance of the selectee is anticipated by each student filling out a registration form at the VYI WEB site at www.vyi.org entitled "Banquet Attendance", which indicates their plans to attend the banquet and the number of guests (selectee and 2 guests, usually parents, are guests of VYI - other attendees are $40 payable at the banquet) they will bring to the ceremony (Click on "Register Online" in the left hand menu at www.vyi.org and complete the "Banquet Attendance" registration form before June 1). If the selectee indicates in the online form, "Banquet Attendance", that they will not attend the banquet for any unexcused reason, the MVP award will be provided to that individual in absentia, but there will be no monetary award. If after indicating they will attend, the selectee does not appear at the banquet, the selectee will be mentioned at the banquet but there will be no monetary award.