FIELD AND FACILITY CONDUCT
Dear Parents and Coaches,
VYI has received some complaints concerning the behavior of some parents, coaches and/or children using area sports facilities. While many of these complaints are eventually discovered to be related to other sports that are not related to VYI, we want to ensure our members continue to be respectful of the neighborhoods, schools, and parks that host our practices and events. Some of the specific complaints we’ve received include:
- Parking in front of neighborhood houses and obstructing resident access
- Walking through private property
- Generally disturbing the peace and quiet of the people living around the fields and gyms
As stated previously, we don’t know if any of the incidents reported involve VYI parents, coaches or children but it is appropriate that we establish guidelines so that everyone knows what is expected of them. Anything a parent, coach or player does while attending a VYI activity reflects on VYI and all of us individually.
Use of area gyms and fields is a privilege not a right. VYI has an excellent reputation in the community and because of that we enjoy certain privileges. It is imperative that we maintain this reputation. We are guests in these neighborhoods and must conduct ourselves accordingly.
We will be amending the parents Code of Conduct rules to spell out specific expectations but here are some rules that we must all follow:
- Parking on residential side streets is only permitted when all lots adjacent to a facility are full.
- Do not park in the designated SACC (School Age Child Care) parking areas in school parking lots
- When it is necessary to park on a neighborhood street we must be quiet and respectful of the residents and their property. This means there should be no yelling, littering or trespassing on private property.
- Never park in such a way as to block a driveway or otherwise obstruct the resident from leaving their home or parking in front of it.
- Make sure we leave each facility clean and free of trash.
- Be a leader. If you witness inappropriate behavior intervene and report to a coach or commissioner as appropriate.
We appreciate your support in ensuring that we have continued access to the facilities that are vital to our sports programs